Monday, September 8, 2008

7 weeks and the fog is lifting

Quick disclaimer - this is a SAPPY post. Even though I don't like to think of myself as a sappy person, I am. So, if you don't like sappy I recommend going directly to the pictures and skip the rest of the writing. (I assume that most folks will just go to the pictures anyway - that is the best part.)

Today Benjamin (aka Super Ben) turned 7 weeks old. I can't believe how quickly that time has gone. The first month with Super Ben was Super tough. There were MANY times during the first several weeks when Andy and I repeatedly asked the question, "What the heck (did not use the work 'heck') did we do?" Andy was so distraught at times - he kept telling me that his life was over. (Even though I was just as emotional as he was, I have to confess, sometimes when he said that his life was over I started laughing inside. Now looking back on it it makes me laugh even more).

While the first few weeks have been difficult there have been many extraordinary times that I did not expect.

(1) Split Wide Open: I was totally blown away by the amount of love that I instantly developed for Benjamin - I now understand the phrase "my heart split wide open." I think that that was part of the reason why I was SO emotional the 1st two weeks. Having my heart split in two from the love that I had for Benjamin completely caught me off guard. My love for Benjamin increases each day - it is amazing. Now he is melting my heart with his fantastic smile and little giggle.

(2) Andy: In having Benjamin Andy and I have learned much more about each other and have developed a much stronger relationship. Since Andy and I have been together for 13 years I just assumed that I pretty much knew all there was about him and that my respect, adoration and love for him would remain relatively constant. Since having Benjamin my respect, adoration and love for Andy has increased ten-fold. I'm very lucky to be married to such a wonderful person. I could not have survived these past few weeks if it had not been for him. Thanks Andy.

(3) Mom Friends: A couple of times each week I get together with a group of moms with newborns to talk baby stuff, partners, politics, etc. It is very helpful to have a community of moms to talk with on a regular basis. Prior to getting pregnant (and having Benjamin) I thought that it was strange for moms to get together. In my mind I think that I pictured a group of women wearing mom jeans with strange haircuts meeting at a McDonald's Playland in a suburb. I was totally wrong. I'm not wearing mom jeans - I'm still in my maternity jeans - and we meet in cool swanky coffee shops throughout the town. Getting together with new moms has been one of several very important lifelines that I have had over the past several weeks.

(4) Mindless but important reading: There have been several books that I've read that helped to keep everything in perspective over the past several weeks. The Tao of Poop by Vivian Elisabeth Glyck, If These Boobs Could Talk by Shannon Payette and Adrienne Hedger, and Slummy Mummy by Fiona Niell. I would highly recommend these books to any new mom. The are fun quick reads about parenthood.

Needless to say, Andy and I both agree that it feels that our life has just begun. Benjamin is amazing and everyday gets better.

Here are some pictures from the first 6 weeks with Benjamin.



Later, A

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY GOD. He is so flippin adorable. Can't wait to see him again soon. And, who are these moms and where can I sign up? Love you all,

Jess

MadCityMike said...

LOL....oh yes, my dear one.....things change continually and everyday is a challenge....but fun, too!!!

Carl Rue said...

He is so cute!

Culture&Sustainability said...

Angela- I can't wait to meet him! He's so cute! Thanks for sharing your insights.

Erin said...

Oh, Angela! He's gorgeous...and adorable!!!

Great thoughts, too. Thanks so much for sharing so honestly. Hope all is well, and can't wait to meet the little guy soon!

Donna said...

So cute! Can't wait to see him again.

RunnerGirlCoco said...

Oh Angela, he's just adorable, and so happy! We miss you over here, but hope you're enjoying being a new mommy!
Coral